Current:Home > StocksTradeEdge-Artwork believed stolen during Holocaust seized from museums in multiple states -FinanceMind
TradeEdge-Artwork believed stolen during Holocaust seized from museums in multiple states
Rekubit Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 12:29:46
Three artworks believed stolen during the Holocaust from a Jewish art collector and TradeEdgeentertainer have been seized from museums in three different states by New York law enforcement authorities.
The artworks by Austrian Expressionist Egon Schiele were all previously owned by Fritz Grünbaum, a cabaret performer and songwriter who died at the Dachau concentration camp in 1941.
The art was seized Wednesday from the Art Institute of Chicago, the Carnegie Museums of Pittsburgh and the Allen Memorial Art Museum at Oberlin College in Ohio.
Warrants issued by Manhattan District Attorney Alvin Bragg's office say there's reasonable cause to believe the three artworks are stolen property.
The three works and several others from the collection, which Grünbaum began assembling in the 1920s, are already the subject of civil litigation on behalf of his heirs. They believe the entertainer was forced to cede ownership of his artworks under duress.
The son of a Jewish art dealer in what was then Moravia, Grünbaum studied law but began performing in cabarets in Vienna in 1906.
A well-known performer in Vienna and Berlin by the time Adolf Hitler rose to power, Grünbaum challenged the Nazi authorities in his work. He once quipped from a darkened stage, "I can't see a thing, not a single thing; I must have stumbled into National Socialist culture."
Grünbaum was arrested and sent to Dachau in 1938. He gave his final performance for fellow inmates on New Year's Eve 1940 while gravely ill, then died on Jan. 14, 1941.
The three pieces seized by Bragg's office are: "Russian War Prisoner," a watercolor and pencil on paper piece valued at $1.25 million, which was seized from the Art Institute; "Portrait of a Man," a pencil on paper drawing valued at $1 million and seized from the Carnegie Museum of Art; and "Girl With Black Hair," a watercolor and pencil on paper work valued at $1.5 million and taken from Oberlin.
The Art Institute said in a statement Thursday, "We are confident in our legal acquisition and lawful possession of this work. The piece is the subject of civil litigation in federal court, where this dispute is being properly litigated and where we are also defending our legal ownership."
The Carnegie Museum said it was committed to "acting in accordance with ethical, legal, and professional requirements and norms" and would cooperate with the authorities.
A request for comment was sent to the Oberlin museum.
Before the warrants were issued Wednesday, the Grünbaum heirs had filed civil claims against the three museums and several other defendants seeking the return of artworks that they say were looted from Grünbaum.
They won a victory in 2018 when a New York judge ruled that two works by Schiele had to be turned over to Grünbaum's heirs under the Holocaust Expropriated Recovery Act, passed by Congress in 2016.
In that case, the attorney for London art dealer of Richard Nagy said Nagy was the rightful owner of the works because Grünbaum's sister-in-law, Mathilde Lukacs, had sold them after his death.
But Judge Charles Ramos ruled that there was no evidence that Grünbaum had voluntarily transferred the artworks to Lukacs. "A signature at gunpoint cannot lead to a valid conveyance," he wrote.
Raymond Dowd, the attorney for the heirs in their civil proceedings, referred questions about the seizure of the three works on Wednesday to the district attorney's office.
The actions taken by the Bragg's office follow the seizures of what investigators said were looted antiquities from museums in Cleveland and Worcester, Massachusetts.
Manhattan prosecutors believe they have jurisdiction in all of the cases because the artworks were bought and sold by Manhattan art dealers at some point.
Douglas Cohen, a spokesperson for the district attorney, said he could not comment on the artworks seized except to say that they are part of an ongoing investigation.
- In:
- Lawsuit
- Art Institute Of Chicago
- New York
veryGood! (1)
Related
- Questlove charts 50 years of SNL musical hits (and misses)
- Mayim Bialik announces she's 'no longer' hosting 'Jeopardy!'
- Mega Millions winning numbers for Dec. 15 drawing; Jackpot at $28 million
- WWE star Liv Morgan arrested in Florida on marijuana possession charge
- Military service academies see drop in reported sexual assaults after alarming surge
- Hypothetical situations or real-life medical tragedies? A judge weighs an Idaho abortion ban lawsuit
- Why Shaggy Took a Strategic Step Back From the Spotlight
- The sorry Chargers have one major asset in recruiting a new coach: Stud QB Justin Herbert
- Nevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case
- Don't Get Knocked Down by These Infamous Celebrity Feuds
Ranking
- Jorge Ramos reveals his final day with 'Noticiero Univision': 'It's been quite a ride'
- Agave is an increasingly popular substitute for honey and sugar. But is it healthy?
- These 18 Great Gifts Have Guaranteed Christmas Delivery & They're All on Sale
- Unpacking the Royal Drama in The Crown Season 6: Fact vs. Fiction
- The Louvre will be renovated and the 'Mona Lisa' will have her own room
- A Black woman miscarried at home and was charged for it. It shows the perils of pregnancy post-Roe
- Tiger Woods' daughter Sam caddies for him at PNC Championship in Orlando
- Bethenny Frankel talks feuds, throwing drinks, and becoming an accidental influencer
Recommendation
In ‘Nickel Boys,’ striving for a new way to see
You'll Burn for This Update on Bridgerton Season 3
British man pleads not guilty in alleged $99 million wine fraud conspiracy
College Football Playoff committee responds to Sen. Rick Scott on Florida State snub
Selena Gomez engaged to Benny Blanco after 1 year together: 'Forever begins now'
Indiana parents asking U.S. Supreme Court to take case involving custody of trans teen
A review defends police action before the Maine mass shooting. Legal experts say questions persist
Putin supporters formally nominate him as independent candidate in Russian presidential election